The building inspector appointed by the mayor with the consent of the council or his or her authorized designee shall be responsible for the administration and enforcement of this article.

No person, firm or corporation shall move, haul or transport any house, building or structure over, along or upon any street alley or other public ways within the corporate limits of the city, or from place to place within said city, without first obtaining a permit therefore as hereinafter provided. Further if the building being moved will be transported on a state maintained highway, a permit shall be obtained from the Kansas Department of Transportation.

Application for permits required by Section 4-102 of this Article shall be made to the building inspector in writing, specifying the day and hour said moving is to commence; the route will be determined by the building inspector. If it shall be necessary to interfere with any wires or poles in any way, the application shall state the name of the owners of said wires or poles and the time that the alterations will be necessary. Further, the applicant shall file with the application sufficient evidence that the applicant has obtained the appropriate consent to trim any trees or bushes or shrubbery of any type which will be made necessary by such a move.

Any building or structure moved into or within the city shall comply with the provisions of the city’s building code for new buildings or structures and in particular Section 3404 of the Uniform Building Code.

It shall be the duty of the person, firm, or corporation owning such wires or poles, after service of said notice, to furnish sufficient, competent lineman or workmen to facilitate the moving of such house, building or structure. The mover must pay for all utility alterations along the route in advance of any moving and show proof of payment to the building inspector.

Application shall be filed not less than seven (7) days before the moving is to commence. A charge of $25.00 will be made to the city clerk to cover the cost of investigation and checking.

Temporary structures of a portable nature may be moved into the city upon special request. Requests should be made in writing to the building inspector at least twenty-four (24) hours prior to the moving time.

No permit shall be issued to any person for the moving of any house, building, or other structure except on low pressure pneumatic tires.

Before the permit herein provided for shall be issued, the applicant therefore must execute and deliver to the city clerk a good and sufficient performance bond in the sum of $10,000.00 to be approved by the city clerk.

Applicant shall provide a public liability insurance policy issued by an insurance company authorized to do business. In the State of Kansas, in the amount of $100,000 per person, $300,000 per accident as to personal injury, and $50,000 property damage may be permitted in lieu of a bond.

No house, building, or structure can measure over twenty-eight (28’) feet wide and twenty (20’) feet high when loaded.

Upon compliance with the foregoing conditions of this article, as the same may apply, the building inspector shall issue a permit to the applicant therefore upon payment of the required fees, which shall authorize the described structure to be moved over the described route at such time as shall be specified in such permit. A copy of such permit shall be displayed on the structure during its movement.

For moving any structure subject to the conditions of this article, the mover shall pay a permit fee of Five Hundred ($500.00) Dollars; this fee to include the cost of police protection and public liability coverage.

Any person violating any of the provisions of this Article shall be deemed guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction thereof shall be fined in any sum not to exceed five hundred ($500.00) dollars or be imprisoned not to exceed thirty (30) days, or both such fine and imprisonment.